Congratulations on your engagement and beginning the fantastic journey of planning a wedding. Can’t wait to get started? Well, we’ve put together a checklist to help you over the next 12 months.
12 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Pick a date -Select a couple of different date options. Start by narrowing down in which season you want to get married, then the month. Later check with the venue for availability to select the final date.
- Work out the budget – It’s best to set the budget before any purchases are made.I know it’s scary but it has to happen sooner rather than later.
- Select the Venue – This must be done for the ceremony and reception.
- Think about hiring a wedding consultant – You want to enjoy your wedding day and not worry about small details like the caterer running behind schedule. This is where the wedding consultant comes in to take control of the day and the worry out of yours.
11 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Pick your wedding party – Time to decide who will be your bridesmaids and groomsmen. Think about whom you want sharing this experience with you and standing next to you on the day.
- Write up your guest list – Our rule on how to decide who makes it on the list is to invite family and friends who you have had a meal with in the last year. This will rule out the people in the periphery of your life.
10 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Accommodation – Research and book accommodation for your out-of-town guests. This will depend on the venue you have selected.
- Sit down or buffet? – Whether you are bringing in a caterer or using the venues caterer, it’s time to sit down and decide on your menu.
9 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Wedding Dress Shopping – Start the process of finding your wedding dress. Finding a dress is a long process and you need to allow time for construction, shipping and alterations. This is the best part of wedding planning.
- Rentals – Do you need to bring in anything extra to you venue like a tent, tables or chairs? Time to contact and reserve all rentals now.
- Gift Registry – If you are asking for money or putting together a gift registry from all your favorite shops it’s time to complete the list and add it to your invitations.
- Vendor check – Time to lock down your photographer, musicians, hair-dresser and any other vendors you will need on the day.
8 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Bridesmaids Dresses – Time to pick what your girls will be wearing. Make sure there is enough time for alterations.
- Honeymoon – Start preparing for where you want to go for your honeymoon. Look at arranging flights and consider hotels.
- Flowers – Gather ideas for your floral décor and bouquets. Keep in mind which flowers will be in season during your wedding. Hire a florist whose work you love and align with the rest of your wedding.
7 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Send the save the dates – If your wedding is going to be a destination one its best to give your guests more time to prepare. For a local wedding, send out the save the dates until 5 months before.
- Groomsmen Outfit – Time to select what the groomsmen will be wearing.
- Transportation – Whether you want to have a horse drawn carriage or a mustang as transportation on the big day. It’s best to book it now, especially if you are renting a limousine or party bus.
6 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Put a ring on it – It’s time to order your wedding bands.
- CAKE – What else can we say? Go cake tasting and book your baker. Yay.
- Invitations – Pick out the stationery you want for your invitations and order them.
YAY, YOU ARE HALF WAY TO YOUR DREAM WEDDING.
5 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Grooms outfit – Purchase the grooms outfit and start on any necessary alterations.
- Passport – Check your passport and renew if you are planning an overseas honeymoon.
4 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Before the wedding counseling – Start your pre-wedding counseling with your efficient.
- Lingerie all day – Purchase your wedding day and night lingerie.
3 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Back to the bakery – Tie to order your cake and topper.
- Beauty Book – Schedule trials for make-up artists and hairstylists.
- Invitations – Send out your invitations.
2 MONTHS UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Favors – Select and order your wedding favors
- Reconfirm – Contact your vendors and confirm everything is still set for the wedding.
- Party Time – Attend your wedding shower. Isn’t it great having bridesmaids?
- Vows – Sit down and write your vows.
- Must have pictures – Discus the details and all pictures you want with your photographer and videographer.
1 MONTH UNTIL ‘I DO’
- Very important – Apply for your marriage license
- Go with the program – Finalize and print the programs for your guests.
- Finalize, Finalize, Finalize – Menus, song lists, seating charts
- Pamper yourself – Get your engagement ring cleaned, hair coloured and nails done.
You are almost there – stay strong
Don’t let planning any of the details give you anxiety. Wedding planning can be very overwhelming but all your hard work and planning will come together to celebrate the first day of the rest of your life.